Livewell: Health Insurance & Wellness Blogs | Max Bupa
HEALTHY WALKING TIPS
Walking is one of the easiest ways to stay fit. There are many benefits of waling such as it strengthens the heart, helps fight stress and lose weight. Here are some tips to help maximize the quality of workout you achieve every time you go for a walk.
- Warm-Up before you walk. Start slowly, do a few stretches first. Don’t walk immediately after a big meal.
- Use the right posture. Walk at a steady pace, swing your arms freely and stand as straight as you can.
- Be weatherproof to enjoy your walks. Wear suitable warm, light clothing in the winter and cool, comfortable clothes in the summer. Don’t forget your sunscreen and a hat.
- Stay hydrated. Drink water before and after your walk. Take water with you on your walk, especially in warm weather.
- Cooldown – make sure you cool down after a long fast walk. Do a few stretching exercises.
- Precaution is better than cure – Before starting a walking program, check with your doctor if you have a chronic medical condition or if you have had a recent injury.
- Invest in good shoes. Since these are the only expense and equipment you'll need, pay attention to the fit and quality of your shoes.
- Pay attention to your heart rate and breathing. Walk at a pace that challenges you and elevates your heart rate, but don't overdo.
- Consider getting a pedometer to track the distance you've walked or the number of steps you've taken. Watching your improvement over time is a terrific source of motivation.