10 foods to help manage hypertension
28-years-old Rahul Handa started experiencing severe headaches and vision issues. The doctors diagnosed it as high blood pressure. Sedentary lifestyles, stress along with bad eating habits is leading to Hypertension, even at a young age.
Over time, high blood pressure can lead to many complications such as stroke, heart and kidney issues etc. According to a report by Indian Council of Medical Research, Hypertension is a direct cause for 29% of all stroke and 24% of all heart attacks in India.
However a little care can go a long way in helping control your blood pressure. Keeping your stress levels and weight in check is the first step. Regular walks or exercise and moderating your alcohol consumption are important as well.
Nutrition plays a significant in controlling hypertension. To start with cut back on salt and keep away from fried and processed food. Further, there are many varieties of food that help fight hypertension. Here is a quick list of food to consume which help fight hypertension:
Foods that help manage hypertension
- Green-leafy vegetables like spinach, lettuce, kale etc contain potassium and help the kidneys get rid of sodium through urine which in turn help lower your blood pressure.
- Skim milk and yogurt are an excellent source of calcium, vitaminD and are low in fat which help in lowering your blood pressure.
- Oatmeal for breakfast is a great way to start the day as it is a high-fibre, low-fat and low-sodium meal.
- Bananas are considered a wonder fruit for anyone with high blood pressure. Bananas are rich in potassium and sodium. Potassium helps negate the effects of sodium which is responsible for putting extra pressure on the blood vessels and disrupts water balance in the body.
- Fish like mackerel; salmon are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Adding them to your diet helps reduce blood pressure and inflammation.
- Garlic and Herbs - Garlic can reduce blood pressure by increasing the amount of nitric oxide in the body and herbs like basil, cinnamon, thyme and rosemary too work wonders for people suffering from hypertension.
- Watermelon contains an amino acid called citrulline, which helps in managing blood pressure.
- Fermented foods like apple cider, kimchi, and natural yogurt are rich in probiotics, which are beneficial bacteria and help regulating blood pressure.
- Lentils or daal are an excellent source of potassium and fibre and are, therefore, considered effective to reduce high blood pressure.
- Beet Juice – According to a study by WebMD, beet juice is a credible way to get an immediate reduction in blood pressure. The study showed a reduction in systolic blood pressure within hours of consumption.