Livewell: Health Insurance & Wellness Blogs | Max Bupa
A MILLENNIAL'S BEST INVESTMENT IN 2019
20 September 2019
We are all set to be the world’s youngest country by 2020, with millennials making up a 3rd of India’s population. But how healthy is our young population? These numbers should be a wake-up call.
- A survey found 70% of India’s urban youth is either obese or overweight – obesity being a major driver for diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease.
- One in five young adults in India has high blood pressure, according to a new study.
What is worrying is that even with the spiraling cost of medical treatment, only 44% of our population has health insurance.
We think of buying a house, jewelry, or foreign education as important investments. But there is one investment many of us overlook that is essential to enjoy everything else in our lives! Health insurance. Getting covered early could be the smartest investment you make in 2019. Let’s look at why it’s important to start young.
- Health insurance just became a necessity: Millennials will be the first generation to have worse health problems than their parents when they reach middle age, a study by the British agency Health Foundation found. Millennials will likely need medical intervention much earlier and probably much more often than their parents did. Which makes health insurance a necessity, not an option, for young Indians today.
- Lifestyle diseases are hitting earlier: Late nights at your desk, constant stress… Sounds familiar? It’s easy to push escalating health issues to the back of your mind. However, we are increasingly seeing younger patients coming in with a range of lifestyle diseases – from diabetes to heart disease. If you act early, you will avoid eroding your savings later. Early coverage can help you completely escape a huge financial burden later in life.
- It makes sense financially: The younger you are, the more affordable insurance is. Most health insurers offer benefits that encourage early enrolment. Max Bupa’s GoActive health insurance plan for example, offers a 10% lifetime discount on premium for those who insure before 35 years. This also comes in handy while tax planning, since you can claim tax deductions on premiums under section 80D.
- It works for your needs and makes life easier: Health insurance has traditionally been associated with hospitalization. Our research showed us that young customers want preventive health check-ups, wellness and fitness features in a health plan. We designed GoActive accordingly, to take care of “everyday health and fitness,” not just hospitalization. Think about it. Health insurance should be super useful, covering annual check-ups, OPD visits the dentist or ophthalmologist or assigning you a health coach to meet your fitness goals – all of which GoActive encompasses.
New-age health insurance products save you time, effort and money. You can get a lot done with a click on the Max Bupa Health app. Search and find a doctor in your locality by specialty or name and book an appointment instantly. Schedule a diagnostic test or even raise claims instantly – comprehensive meets convenient.
- Get it before you need it: Coverage may require a certain waiting period before you make use of it. Getting a cover when you are healthy and don’t need it right away, ensures that you can make use of your health cover right when the need arises.
You need your health to achieve every life goal, but without crippling medical expenses. To understand how you can get covered and maximize your investment in health insurance, learn about Max Bupa’s health insurance plans, that are affordable and yet comprehensive to offer maximum coverage and benefits.
5 things to consider when you get health insurance
- Calculate how much you can and want to put aside every month for coverage costs
- Examine your medical needs and history. Pick a policy that fits your needs.
- Look for convenience, like booking doctor’s appointment online or cashless OPD
- Plug in gaps in your corporate coverage, based on your unique needs.
- Revise the cover as your family grows or your needs evolve
Senior Vice President and Head Marketing,Digital and Direct Sales,Max Bupa Health Insurance